Paul Liebrand’s Weblog

Welcome to my blog mainly about SharePoint

My SharePoint Sites and Authentication Popup

Recently we started experiencing a Windows authentication dialog box popping up on end-users computers asking for username and password when they launched an Office 2007 application for the first time of the day. After troubleshooting the issue we determined that the end-user was no longer a member of a site that was propagated to the My SharePoint Sites location within Office 2007.

It appears that sometimes the groups that end-users are a member of get out of sync.  So when the population of My SharePoint Sites occurs it will hit a site that a user no longer has access too it is prompting them for valid credentials.

In a previous blog post, MOSS 2007 and User Memberships, I explain how the My SharePoint Site gets populated.  The check only occurs once a day, unless you clear the registry key (see Office 2007 and My SharePoint Sites.)

You can generally get around this issue by deleting the My SharePoint Sites and clearing the registry key, Office 2007 will repopulate that My SharePoint Sites information.

However, if that does not work it is possible that the site synchronization tables are out of sync.  If that is the case, you can run the following command:

stsadm -o sync -deleteolddatabases 0

This will basically force SharePoint to re-sync all the content databases when the “Profile Synchronization” timer job runs on the next hour.

Once the timer job runs all the tables will be re-sync and the authentication dialog box should be resolved the next time Office 2007 attempts to populate the My SharePoint Sites information.

There is a table called SiteSynch in the Shared Services Provider (“SSP”) database which will list all the content database ID’s, the site ID’s and when the last time they synched was. During my research I noticed that a content database I had deleted about 2-3 weeks prior was still being listed in here which caused stuff to get out of sync.

After the running the stsadm command above and after the timer job processed the content database ID that was deleted no longer was listed and thus solved the out-of-sync issue I experienced.

Advertisements

February 27, 2008 - Posted by | SharePoint | , ,

3 Comments »

  1. Thanks for the tip on the STSADM command! Our users’ ‘My SharePoint Sites’ link on the ‘My Links’ menu had all disappeared, and many were not seeing any sites in their My SharePoint Sites in Office 2k7. I’ve been looking for a solution for this for days!

    Comment by graydo64 | May 6, 2008 | Reply

  2. Great post. It helped a lot. The Authentication popup was driving me and a lot of users crazy.

    Thank you

    Comment by Luiz I. | May 6, 2009 | Reply


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: