Paul Liebrand’s Weblog

Welcome to my blog mainly about SharePoint

Windows 7 and App has stopped working

I have been using the public beta of Windows 7 for a couple days now and everything has been working perfectly. All of a sudden some of my software would not install. It would simply come up with an error message stating “Appname has stopped working”.

It turns out that any software installer that used MSI files would not work. After sometime of troubleshooting and searching the web I found a solution buried in a forum post on TechNet.

  1. Start Regedit
  2. Navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisableSessions
  3. Rename MachineThrottling to _MachineThrottling

After doing this all MSI related installation programs will work again. The great part about this is you do not even have to reboot.



January 19, 2009 - Posted by | Windows 7 |


  1. this is pretty useful information dude… I have been using Windows 7 Beta on a machine at work and I have not run into this issue yet??? If and when I do I know I will return here for the answer! Thanks…

    Comment by Mark | February 24, 2009 | Reply

  2. i Navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisableSessions
    then i dont fouond “MachineThrottling” where i fouond this plese suggest me detail.

    Comment by hemant kumar | March 1, 2009 | Reply

  3. ya like hemant kumar, I also didn’t find the MachineThrottling.

    Comment by Sushil Kafle | September 12, 2009 | Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: